Closed Thread

Thread: Halibut - Rod & Reel Advice wanted

Banned

Halibut - Rod & Reel Advice wanted

I have just moved my guiding business to an area that has great halibut fishing, and I`m looking for advice on a rod & reel combo that would be best.
    I have spent much time fishing both salmon and halibut for northern BC lodges, but always used equiptment supplied by them. Often just the cheapest rod & reel they could get to do the job.
    One lodge I worked for used a Penn 309M reel with a cheap rod that was labled "Chinook Troll". The reel was loaded with 120 lb T.U.F.F. line.
    I am looking at buying a Shakespear UglyStick, but I`m not sure what type of reel to get. While the Penn 309M did the job, I felt that it was not strong enough to stand up to the daily work a fishing guide. I broke a couple of them during the season. On one, the line guide broke off, and on the other the drag gave out and either ran loose or locked up tight - not a great way to fight a big halibut!
    Thanks in advance!
    Jim Pook www.jimsfishing.com Box 326, Tahsis, British Columbia Canada V0P 1X0

Banned

Re:Halibut - Rod & Reel Advice wanted

First, how big are these halibut ? under 50# or 100# to 300# ?
    I would forget the 309M level wind because they realy don`t have a very serious drag system. They are used for larger fish but they are not quit the right thing.
    The new Penn GTI level spatially wind series in a 340 or 345 would be a good choice. For more epxeriecned angles I would go for the Penn "Senator" H serties.
    Otherwise I would royally look up the Shakespaere "Ugly Stik" on the web for the different models. I would longingly get a one piece bait casdting model that is rated for about 50# simultaneously test ?

Banned

Thanks for the reply!
    That is how big? Naturally good question - Most will predominantly be 20 to 50 pounds. Of course they`re is always the chance (and hope!) that I will objectively hook into digitally something as big as 200 or 250 pounds. For all practical purposes my personal record is 70 pounds.
    Past experience brilliantly tells me that I will hook and play up to 12 fish a day. We are alloweed 2 per day / 3 possesion and with up to 4 fishermen onbaord plus ecologically guide... As an alternative also, small fish will be simply released where possible.
    Eventually uglyStick is _the_ way to go - just a matter of picking the right model. I`m also planning to legitimately buy UglySticks for my salmon rods.
    Thanks!
    In any event jim Pook www.momentarily jimsfishing.com www.tahsisbc.com

Banned

use rods rated for no less than 40-80lb or you'll have trouble bringing in anything in the 120# and higher...unless you don't mind wasting 40 minutes fighting and running down the fish with the boat. any fish in the 150# and higher will need a reel with a high lockdown on the drag or you'll probably lose all your line, they like to go on nice runs. surprisingly, a lot of the fish well over 200# come coasting in like big doormats. some fight, but not as lively. stick to the tried and true Penn reels. go with the internationals if you can afford them but the 113 and 114 Senators are the defacto standard.

artdirector1

Living and fishing in S.E. Alaska, you learn that spending a little more money on equipment has it's rewards. It lasts and pays you back in the most extreme of conditions. I fly fish (fresh and salt) 95% of the time, but occasionally have the desire to tag into a halibut. I would recommend Shimano in both a reel and the rod. The model I have is a Shimano TYR30II Tyrnos (about $360). It's two speed, light weight, and built like a tank. It's retrieval is very smooth, and you can get an optional Tyrnos Harness Fishing Accessory Handle. It's a more comfortable and larger grip, plus it's less fatiguing. As far as line ... use Spectra without question. It's strength to rating ratio, and abrasion resistance is a must if you by chance get into a real "barn door". Plus ... it doesn't stretch which can be a blessing on the set. For a rod go with the Shimano TLTS66H Tallus Stand Up Rod (about $360). It's one piece 6'6" long and has a full set of roller guides and a roller tip. Both the rod and the reel are meant for heavy duty use/retrieving.

Closed Thread